Sunday, January 8, 2017

Black and white and red all over



















Yesterday, Saturday, was a pretty low-key day for me. Still nursing a sore knee and the tail end of a cold I feel I have had forever, I decided to just plain take a day off. The most ambitious things I did were to refill the bird feeders and to walk down the driveway to get the mail. 

Although the temperature wasn't so terribly low for this time of year and for this neck of the woods, the feel of the day was sharp, damp, and chilling. I enjoyed making some exotic hot tea with the aid of my new infuser. I didn't used to drink much tea and when I did, I just used grocery store tea bags.  This loose tea was fun. The interesting flavor helps to fend off snack attacks in the late afternoon.

When I went outside to fill the feeders, I saw a large raptor-like bird fly slowly in and settle on a tree near the edge of our woods (see photo # 4). We are used to seeing red-tailed hawks come around, looking for careless rabbits or slow-moving mourning doves, but I was pretty sure this wasn't one of those. I quickly snapped a photo but the bird was really too far away to get a good look. By the time I grabbed my binoculars, it had moved on. After checking the bird guides, I am pretty certain it was a goshawk.  It is interesting to see a new-to-me bird. I just hope he doesn't prey on the smaller birds I lure here with feed all winter. I enjoy the life and color they bring to the back yard. Throughout the winter, we will have regular visits from about twenty varieties of birds. 

In my experience, there are two types of knitters: those who knit socks and those who don't. I am not yet sure which category I will end up in. I knit a pair of socks a couple of years ago and they came out a bit funky and misshapen. But I had bought some sock yarn on sale back then and still have an ample supply. So, I thought I would try it again. Alas, these socks are not going all that well, either. But for now, I will keep plugging along. Maybe I will eventually figure out how to get a more pleasing result.

Happy January to you. I hope you are keeping warm and happily busy, indoors or out.

Not required reading, but here below is a list of the 17 birds that I saw in our yard yesterday, January 7, 2017:

Finches: gold, house, and purple
Woodpeckers: Northern flicker, downy, and red-bellied
grackle
chickadee
nuthatch

tufted titmouse
cardinal
blue jay
mourning dove
slate-colored junco
Carolina wren
White-throated sparrow

goshawk




.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!