Sunday, September 25, 2011

Shopping at home first: Decorating from my garden and the back of the closet.

 At Saturday's farmers' market, there was a woman selling lovely small wreaths and swags for fall decorating. But instead of buying one, I thought, hey, I can make something like that myself. And like the little red hen, I did.

One dollar is what I paid at a craft store for the unadorned  grapevine wreath above. At home, I strolled around the yard, snipping bits of this and that to tuck into the wreath.
The flowers from this hydrangea bush, above, will dry nicely and last for some time. I also snipped some tiny crab apples, some dried bee balm, a bit of evergreen, a few herbs. What doesn't hold up can easily be replaced.
 I have to remind myself that there is plenty of fodder for seasonal decorating already in and around our house. I just have to remember to shop at home first. The rusty pan, above, could make an interesting planter.
This dark red basket, probably from some long ago Christmas gift, can also work for fall. The color is like red delicious apples, I think. And the dark yellow pillar candle, below, rediscovered tucked away in a cupboard, will work itself in somewhere.
Re-purposing what we already own makes a lot of sense. Beyond just seasonal frou frous, it's good for the planet and the pocketbook to use what we already have for all sorts of needs. 

Use it up, wear it out,
Make it do or do without.

And just like the little red hen, I did.



Click on photos to enlarge them.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!